How can the Perceptual Positions be used by self?
1. Decide on what context you are working. To start with it's recommended you choose something small, not the largest problem in your life and as you become more experienced at using the technique you can progress to larger and more significant issues.
2. Break State (Which means think about something else for a moment to clear your mind. What did you have for breakfast this morning?)
3. First Position: So this is where you consider the situation from your own perspective. You are experiencing things through your own eyes, as if you were looking at the other person. See what you see, hear what you hear, that might be your own voice, your own self talk, what the other person saying to you. Notice how you are behaving and reacting, notice the feelings that were present. That gives you the information about the situation from your perspective. Once you have gathered all the insights from Position 1, step out of that Position.
4. Break State - think about something else for a moment. What's your favourite genre of music?
5. Second Position: You become the other person. Step into their shoes and experience the situation totally from their perspective. What's their point of view? What do they see, what do they hear, what might they be saying to themselves, what do they feel? Describe the situation as if you were that other person. Having gathered all the information from their perspective, step out of that Position.
6. Break State - think about something else for a moment. Can you smell coffee?
7. Now for Third Position. So this is where you gather information from situation as if you were an Observer. You are now a neutral third party who is looking down at the event(s). Describe and gather information as the neutral third party Observer. What does it look like from this perspective? What can you learn here?
8. Break State
9. Now take those new learnings and go back to Position 1 and Position 2 and notice how things have changed in light of these new learnings and how things are different.